Thursday, January 23, 2014

Chip Kelly Offense Terminology

Like most coaches was interested to see how Chip Kelly's offense was going to perform at the NFL level. I would say that most would probably agree that his first season with the Eagles was a success.  Sure, there were some bumps in the road and I personally was very concerned early on that teams were going to catch on to the lack of route concepts.  But Kelly adapted and once Nick Foles was named the starting QB things began to take shape.  The Eagles led the NFL in rushing and considering the stigma of the "Spread Offense" I really think this convinced the naysayers that this offense not only can work but flourish in the NFL.  Chip Kelly would probably be the first to tell you that he isn't doing anything "innovative" as far as his actual plays. But what is innovative is the way they practice and communicate.  I'm very intrigued by how all teams call and communicate their plays.  Especially in the no-huddle offense.  A simple Google search will find hundreds of NFL and College Playbooks that have been posted online but so far I have found nothing about Chip Kelly's Oregon or New Hampshire Offense.  With all the talk of how they use one word play calls and boards I was really interested to see how this would change in the NFL given that you can communicate directly with the QB on the field.  I had almost given up my search until I was watching an Eagles game earlier this year and noticed that when the camera shot a close up of Kelly on the sidelines his play call sheet was sitting there in plain view.  Also, with HD cameras, the sheet was completely legible.  I went back with my DVR and paused the video and sure enough there were the calls.  I took a screen shot which is posted here but it got me thinking.  I can't be the only one who noticed this right?  I began searching Google again except this time for "Chip Kelly Play Sheet" and sure enough someone else had done the same thing. Supposedly this person had posted the screen shot on the Eagles message board and received mixed emotions from fans.  Some wanted him banned for posting it and others were intrigued.  Evidently the team reached out and asked him to delete it which he did.  However, in the time it was up multiple people transcribed the plays and posted again.  The two pics I found are also posted here.

Enjoy and if anyone can "decode" what some of the play calls mean please let me know.  I'm dying to figure out what "Boundary Mario" is.




No comments:

Post a Comment